Director of 2nd Surgical Division
Specialty Area & Research Interest
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Robotic & Laparoscopic Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Since 1998 I work as General Surgeon in the private sector. All these years, I worked in close collaboration with my personal teacher, Professor John Bramis, a well-known and highly experienced surgeon. Working with him and dealing with a great number of difficult and complicated oncological cases, I focused my interest in surgical oncology, a field that I have reached a high level of skills and experience. At the same time I had the chance to practice, intermediate and advanced laparoscopic surgery in every case that met criteria and indications.
- During this period, there was ample opportunity to increase my surgical experience and skills and build up my personal surgical profile. Simple and complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures on an elective or emergency basis, open or minimally invasive approach and a training rotation to Upper GI, Colorectal, Breast, Endocrine, Vascular and Laparoscopic Departments contributed to the full surgical training. Moreover, the academic background of the hospital provided chances to embark on research activities at practically every level.
- Specialist training in General Surgery was done in a busy University Hospital in the center of Athens, Greece (Laiko Hospital – attached to the Medical School). A busy 1:4-1:5 on call rota is part of the training and the service provided by trainee registrars. The 1st Department of Surgery, is a large historic ward of the Hospital with a capacity of 64 beds and admits a variety of surgical cases (except cardiac and neurosurgical).
Medical School, National University of Athens, Greece, (1990)
-Training in General Surgery, 1st Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, “Laiko” General Hospital, Athens, Greece, as full time specialist trainee resident (1996)
- Attendance to numerous Medical and Surgical Congresses in Greece and abroad (List available on request) (1990-to date)
- Completed the EndoGastric Solutions™ training program and acquired excellent clinical experience with EsophyX™ devise in endogastric fundoplication, (Signed : Adrian Lobontiu, Director, European Physician Education, EndoGastric Solutions Europe) (2011)
- DaVinci Robotic Surgical System training course (Intuitive Surgical), IRCAT- EITS, Strasbourg, France (2009)
- Clinical fellowship (Scholar from Hellenic Surgical Society) in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery , Surgical Department of German Red Cross Hospital Clementinenhaus Hannover , Germany (Head : Dr Andreas Kuthe) During this period I attended ten (10) training courses in advanced laparoscopic surgery, organized at the hospitals training center (2003)