The Athens Euroclinic runs a fully organized Gynecology Department, staffed by trained, qualified and experienced physicians. They are capable of implementing all the latest prevention methods to identify, treat and monitor the entire range of benign and malignant gynecological conditions, as well as performing innovative techniques, such as hysterectomy, laparoscopy and robotic surgery.
The continuous training of staff at international centers of excellence and the practical application of new methods have made the Gynecology Department a training center for gynecologic robotic surgery. Two training seminars combining theory and practice on robotic techniques are organized annually, with gynecologists from Greece and Cyprus attending.
The Gynecology Department offers the following services.
- Annual women’s check-up, which includes:
- Gynecological exam
- Pap test
- Ultrasound of the uterus & ovaries
- Investigation, treatment and monitoring of precancerous cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN), vaginal intra-epithelial neoplasia (VAIN) and vulval intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN) associated with the human papillomavirus (HPV) by performing:
- Immunization for the virus
- Detection of the virus (HPVDNA test)
- Colposcopy and guided cervical biopsy
- Vaginoscopy and guided vaginal/vulval biopsy
- Electrocautery for genital condylomas
- Conization of cervix using loop or scalpel
- Investigation and management of endometrial thickness or bleeding, endometrial polyps, etc, by performing:
- Pipelle endometrial biopsy
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy
- Diagnostic curettage
- Interventional hysteroscopy
- Placement of Mirena intrauterine coil
- Endometrial electrocautery
- Investigation and treatment of vaginitis by performing:
- Vaginal and endocervical cultures
- Investigation and management of climacterium and menopause
- Contraception advice
- Investigation and treatment of benign conditions, such as:
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibromyomas
- Lysis of adhesions
- Uterine prolapse
Treatment depends on each individual case and may be conservative or surgical (cystectomy, ovariectomy, enucleation, subtotal hysterectomy, total hysterectomy, etc)
- Urinary incontinence management by performing:
- Transabdominal or vaginal urethral suspension
- Incontinence tape placement (TVT or TVT-O)
- Mesh placement
Gynecologic tumors are investigated, treated and monitored by a dedicated Gynecologic Oncology Surgery Department, where the following are performed:
- Preoperative staging (gynecological exam, biopsy, imaging scan, discussion at Oncology Council)
- Conservative procedures (partial vaginectomy, radical trachelectomy, etc)
- Radical procedures (radical vaginectomy and lymphadenectomy, radical hysterectomy and lymphadenectomy, cytoreduction, etc)
- Adjuvant or complementary therapy (in cooperation with the Oncology Unit)
- Supportive and palliative care (in cooperation with the Palliative Care Department and the Pain Clinic)
The gynecologic surgery department handles all gynecological conditions and malignancies either with open surgery (laparotomy or vaginal approach) or with minimally invasive surgery (robotic or laparoscopic approach) These new techniques are applied even in the most difficult gynecologic oncology procedures. They reduce intraoperative blood loss, postoperative complications, pain and hospitalization time, while they allow patients to return to their normal activities faster.
Medical Infrastructure & Technology
The Athens Euroclinic is equipped with contemporary diagnostic devices (CT and MRI scanner) that allow accurate initial evaluation of gynecological tumors, as well as recurrence diagnosis, fine-needle aspiration (FNA) or management of complications (e.g. lymphocyst and fluid drainage).
The operating theaters are fully equipped with the latest medical devices, meet all the safety criteria and ensure the adequacy of all methods implemented for gynecological conditions.
The latest generation endoscopy towers and the da Vinci S robotic surgery system, as well as the technical support team on standby, ensure the smooth operation of the Endoscopy Unit.
The Athens Euroclinic is probably the only private hospital in Greece where gynecologic robotic surgery is being steadily performed since 2008. The expert scientific team has successfully performed a large number of procedures to treat malignant and benign gynecological conditions.