The Athens Euroclinic Interventional Cardiology Unit is headed by Dr. D. Athanasias.
It is one of the most specialized interventional cardiology units in Europe, capable of performing all contemporary cardiac procedures.
- Diagnostic coronary angiographies, hemodynamic assessment of coronary disease using intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) and fractional flow reserve (FFR) measurement.
- Complex coronary angioplasties using all available technology (such as latest generation coated stents, atherectomy and calcified diabetic valve access using a rotablator).
- 24-hour angioplasty for acute myocardial infarctions.
- 24-hour circulatory support for cardiogenic shock with the use of intra-aortic pump and temporary extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), as well as cardiothoracic surgery support.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) with all contemporary valves available.
- Percutaneous mitral valvuloplasty via transseptal approach (Inoue balloon)
- Percutaneous mitral valve repair (MitraClip)
- Interatrial communication closure
- Arteriovenous communication embolization
- Renal denervation to treat resistant hypertension
- Diagnostic electrophysiological assessments with the possibility of electroanatomical mapping for all types of arrhythmias
- Ablation of pulmonary veins and autonomic ganglia to treat atrial fibrillation
- Intracardiac and cardiac ablation for ventricular tachycardia
- Implantation of pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular pacemakers
So far, the results of these procedures have been very satisfactory compared to international standards and have been published in Greek and foreign journals.
The Unit is also heavily involved in research and as a result, the Athens Euroclinic Cardiology Unit is recognized internationally for its articles on coronary circulation and arrhythmias.