Pediatric Nephrology deals with conditions of the kidneys in children, starting from the perinatal and neonatal period, all the way to adolescence and early adulthood.
The most common kidney diseases affecting pediatric patients are:
- Congenital anomalies of the urinary tract, such as solitary kidney, horseshoe kidney, ectopic kidneys, duplex pelvicalyceal system, etc.
- Pelvicalyceal system dilation, often detected prenatally (congenital hydronephrosis)
- Urinary tract infections
- Nephrolithiasis, hypercalcemia
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
At the Euroclinic Children’s Hospital we safeguard the health of children’s kidneys as part of our comprehensive approach towards pediatric patients.
The Pediatric Nephrology Department monitors children with kidney problems on a regular outpatient basis, while it also handles acute cases that need hospitalization. It provides comprehensive investigation, diagnosis and treatment of patients, in line with the latest international guidelines. It aims at approaching the problem in detail, to achieve accurate diagnosis though suitable lab and imaging tests.
It works closely with the pediatric and pediatric urology departments, as well as the radiology department when deemed necessary, for well-rounded treatment of cases. Given that polysystemic management of kidney cases is deemed necessary for proper treatment, the contribution of other specialties, such as dietitians, is sought occasionally.
Some of the services offered by the department include:
- Monitoring infants with congenital hydronephrosis and offering suitable guidance for further testing.
- Examining and monitoring children with hematuria and/or albuminuria.
- Examining, treating and monitoring children with nephrolithiasis.
- Treating and monitoring nephrotic syndrome.
- Treating and monitoring children with glomerulonephritis.
- Monitoring children with polycystic kidney disease and providing guidance for further genetic testing.
- Treating and monitoring children with hypertension.
- Approaching, providing targeted investigation and treating children with bedwetting issues.
Medical Infrastructure & Technology
The Department is supported and works closely with the Microbiology and Radiology Departments for investigation and monitoring of cases.