A fully equipped and organized Thoracic Surgery Clinic operates within the Athens Euroclinic. The Clinic surgeons perform all intermediate and major surgical procedures on chest organs, such as the lungs, thoracic wall, diaphragm, pleura, trachea, bronchi, esophagus and mediastinum, handling both malignant and benign conditions.
The experienced and qualified medical and nursing staff stand by patients and their families, offering top-level medical and nursing care.
The following procedures can be performed at the Thoracic Surgery Clinic:
- Anterior mediastinotomy for mediastinal tumors, diagnostic biopsy of lung and pleura, such as interstitial pulmonary fibrosis, tumors, etc (VATS technique)
- Lobectomy, pneumonectomy (mini video-assisted thoracotomy), pulmonary segmentectomy for solitary pulmonary nodules (VATS technique occasionally)
- Removal of thoracic wall tumors
- Exploratory thoracotomy
- Pulmonary echinococcus removal
- Mediastinal tumor removal
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Bronchoplastic procedures
- Pericardial window for chronic pericarditis (VATS technique)
- Sternal wiring for pneumothorax or malignant pleural effusion (VATS technique)
- Empyema drainage/lavage (VATS technique in the early stages)
- Cyst removal (VATS technique)
- Sympathectomy (VATS technique)
The Emergency Medicine Department and the ICU operate 24/7 and may handle all Thoracic Surgery cases and emergencies.
The Clinic also works closely with the Pulmonology Department and the Oncology Unit, offering well-rounded treatment to patients suffering from thoracic conditions.