A highly-specialized, model Gastroenterology Department operates within the Athens Euroclinic that covers the entire range of conditions encountered in modern Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
The Gastroenterology Department is staffed by physicians with long experience and significant scientific body of work in Greece and abroad. All physicians hold the European Diploma of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and participate in Greek and international conferences. They also follow the guidelines set out by the Hellenic Society of Gastroenterology and other relevant European and US societies (AGA, ASGE, UEG, ESGE) when treating each individual case.
The nursing staff have been specialized in the specific field and have received top training so as to offer quality nursing services and utmost safety to patients.
The qualified medical and nursing staff, coupled with the modern facilities give a competitive edge to the Athens Euroclinic Gastroenterology Department.
The Gastroenterology Department covers the entire range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures associated with Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- Diagnosis and treatment of upper gastrointestinal conditions (gastroesophageal reflux, peptic ulcer, upper gastrointestinal neoplasms, esophageal/gastric varices, exploration of indigestion problems, upper gastrointestinal bleeding, dilation of stenoses, foreign object removal, etc) with diagnostic and/or therapeutic esophagoscopy, gastroscopy or duodenoscopy.
- Small-intestine assessment via capsule endoscopy or enteroscopy.
- Diagnosis and treatment of lower gastrointestinal conditions (inflammatory bowel diseases, lower gastrointestinal bleeding, primary or secondary colorectal cancer prevention, irritable bowel syndrome, removal of small and large polyps, etc) with diagnostic and/or therapeutic colonoscopy and endoscopic polypectomy.
- Assessment and implementation of new endoscopic techniques for diagnosing and treating early lesions, such as chromoendoscopy, endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) and Halo radiofrequency ablation for Barrett’s esophagus.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) for investigating diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract and pancreas with simultaneous tissue sample collection for biopsy.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP) for treating benign and malignant lesions of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas (gall bladder or pancreatic duct stones, gall bladder or pancreatic duct stenosis, stent placement in malignant liver, bile duct or pancreatic tumors, etc).
- Breath test for Helicobacter pylori with carbon dioxide measurement.
The entire range of Gastroenterology and Hepatology conditions can be hospitalized and treated in the fully organized hospital wards of the Athens Euroclinic, either admitted through the Gastroenterology Clinics or through other Internal Medicine or Surgery Clinics. The Emergency Medicine Department can handle all Gastroenterology and Hepatology emergencies, while the One-Day Clinic can serve the patients requiring IV infusions, within the comfort of modern and friendly surroundings.
Medical Infrastructure & Technology
The Gastroenterology Department has invested in quality infrastructure, as well as in cutting-edge medical technology, acknowledging that biomedical developments play a key role in offering specialized diagnosis and treatment to patients with gastrointestinal conditions. The Gastroenterology Department boasts:
- Three fully-equipped endoscopy suites. Each one is equipped with an endoscopy tower, upper and lower gastrointestinal tract videoendoscopes, endoscopic image recording system, and electrosurgical diathermy system, linked to an argon plasma device. It is also equipped with devices for recording the vital signs of patients during endoscopic exams.
- The Department’s state-of-the-art endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) device plays a key role in diagnosing lesions and deciding on the most optimal treatment plan.
- The Department also has a recovery room with 8 beds and corresponding vital signs monitoring devices, and has been set up accordingly so that patients are always monitored by two nurses.
- The special disinfection area has three ultra modern washers of the highest standards, which, combined with the experience and professionalism of the nursing staff, make the Endoscopy Unit one of the safest places for endoscopic exams.
The Athens Euroclinic is also equipped with cutting-edge medical devices, such as a digital MRI scanner and a latest technology CT scanner, which ensure optimal imaging results. The imaging department often offers its services to the Gastroenterology Department for conducting high-resolution ERCP scans.