- Scientific Collaborator, Athens Euroclinic.
- Scientific Collaborator, European University of Cyprus
- (former) Director and Chairman, Dpt of Surgery “Metaxa” Cancer Memorial Hospital
- Editor in Chief of “Hellenic Journal of Surgery”
- Fellow of Society of Surgical Oncology
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Athens University
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (officer of Greek Chapter- treasurer)
Specialty Areas & Research Interest
- Surgical Oncology
- Upper and low GI surgery for malignant tumors (lower esophagus, stomach, colorectal surgery)
- Hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery
- Retroperitoneal tumors
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Melanomas and other skin cancers
- Gynecomastia (for men)
- Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for solid tumors
- 01 / 2004 – 31/12/2018 Department of Surgery, Metaxa Cancer Memorial Hospital, Piraeus, Greece (Director and Chairman)
- 05/1987 – 01/2004: Department of Surgery (C Unit), Tzanion General Hospital, Piraeus, Greece (attending surgeon, associate director)
- 12/1994 – 07/2001: Assistant Professor of Surgery, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, Athens Greece
- 7/1989 -12/1994: Lecturer of Surgery, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital,Athens Greece
- 4/1984-9/1985 : Department of Surgery, Evangelismos Medical Center, Athens, Greece (attending surgeon)
- 6/1981-11/1983 : Department of Surgery, Larissa’s General Hospital, Larissa, Greece (attending surgeon)
1969-1975 : Medical School of Athens University, Athens, Greece (excellency).
6/1991-12/1991: Honorary Registrar, The Liver and Hepatobiliary Unit, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, England.
7/1987-11/1987: Fellow, Barbara Davis Diabetes Ctr. University of Colorado HSC Surgical Nutritional Support Service.
7 / 1986 – 7 /1987: Fellow, Critical Care, Department of Surgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
9 /1985 – 7 / 1986: Fellow, Barbara Davis Diabetes Ctr. University of Colorado HSC (research in pancreatic islet transplantation and transplantation biology). Surgical Nutritional Support Service
12 /1975 -2 /1980: Residency in General Surgery “Evagelismos” Medical Center, Athens, Greece (Chairman: A N Papaioannou MD, FACS)
- Scholarship of National Foundation of Scholarships of Greece, (Medical School of Athens University, 5 years)
- Scholarship of National Foundation of Scholarships of Greece (Transplantation of solid organs, 2 years)
|Professional Experience||Upper and low GI surgery, pancreatic surgery, breast, endocrine surgery, melanomas, retroperitoneal tumors, complex pelvic surgery, abdominal wall surgery|
1. New York Academy of Sciences, 1982.
2. American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (Colorado Branch), 1986.
3. Hellenic Surgical Society (1990)
4. Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS), 1990.
5. American Association of Clinical Anatomists, 1993.
6. International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association, 1993.
7. European Society for Surgical Research, 1998.
8. American College of Surgeons, Greek Chapter (Treasurer), 2010
9. Society of Surgical Oncology (2013)
6/1975 : Ptychion Iatrikis, Medical School of Athens University
9/1975 : License to practice Medicine, (issued by the Ministry of Health, Greece)
3/1980 : Board Certified in Surgery (Greece)
6/1980 : Doctorate thesis (PhD), Medical School of Athens University
10/1985 : ECFMG (Certificate No. 355-364 – 1)
12/1988 : FLEX (511-001-025)
6/1991: License to practice Medicine in England (GMC)
11/1992 : License to practice Medicine and Surgery in the State of Pennsylvania, USA
(License Number: MD-048141-L) Active
- Basic Research
– Transplantation Biology
-Pancreatic Islet Transplantation for IDDM (mechanisms of graft destruction)
-Ischaemia – reperfusion injury
– Cellular biology during peritonitis
- Applied Research
– Peritoneal infections
-Neo adjuvant chemotherapy of solid tumors
– Metabolism of critically ill surgical Patient
– Functional staging of acute surgical illness
Authored more than 100 articles published in medical journals. Full list of publications, research projects and conference presentations available upon request.
Nomikos IN. Diagnostic and therapeutic approach of the critically ill surgical patient. Edited by Zita Medical Publishing Company, Athens 1993 (205 pages).
- Nomikos IN, Vamvakopoulou Dimitra, Vamvakopoulos N. Retroperitoneal Tumors. In “Cancer Surgery in the Elderly”. Edited by Spiliotis J. Tepetes K. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. New York p. 305-320, 2011.
2 . Papaioannou AN, Nomikos IN, Polychronis AB. Primary Breast Cancer. In “Clinical Oncology”. Edited by Editorial Committee of National Oncologic Council, p. 345-363, Athens 1981.
- . Papaioannou AN, Nomikos IN. Cancer of the stomach . In “Clinical Oncology”. Edited by Editorial Committee of National Oncologic Council, p. 382-394, Athens 1981.
- Nomikos IN. The peritoneum and the omentum, two good friends of the surgeon. In “Justified concepts in abdominal cavity drainage”. Edited by the Medical Society of Athens, p. 13-48, Athens, 1981.
- Nomikos IN. The defensive activity of intestinal epithelium. In “The surgical treatment of large bowel cancer”. Edited by the National Oncologic Council, p. 31-86, Athens, 1981.
Nomikos IN The surgical personality and its quality components. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (5): 229-231.
Kokkinos Ch, Nomikos IN. Colonic Obstruction: A puzzle to be solved by prepared minds. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (4): 165-66
Nomikos IN Breast Cancer and Axillary Lymph Node Dissection. Past, Present Future. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (4): 167-168.
Nonikos IN. Personalized Medicine, Precision Surgical Oncology and the Surgeon’s Role. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (4):169-171
Nomikos IN. Pain in Daily Surgical Practice; Opioid Use and the Surgeon Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (3): 111-114.
Nomikos IN. Palliative Surgery. What is it ? . Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (2): 66-68.
Nomikos IN. Leaders and Leadership in Surgery . Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (1): 6-9.
Kouroumalis A, Spandideas N, Kioleoglou Z, Kokkali Kalliopi, Vamvakopoulou D, Nomikos IN. Glycemic Control of Surgical Patients. What is correct , what is not. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2018; 90 (1): 27-32.
Nomikos IN. Ethical Issues in Surgical Practice . Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2017; 89 (5-6): 193-195.
Nomikos IN. Safety and Quality: Two Basic Components of Contemporary Surgical Care. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2017; 89 (3-4): 136-140.
Nomikos IN The TNM Staging System: A Stable Value in the Battle Against Cancer. A Brief Historical Overview. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2017; 89 (3-4): 132
Nomikos IN. The Anatomy of a Surgeon. Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2017; 89 (2): 63-67
Xynogalos S, Nomikos IN.Current Concept on GIST. Imatinib: One Size does not Fit All! (Editorial) Hellenic Journal of Surgery 2017; 89 (2): 68- 70.
Tzaida Olympia, Papazian Mari, Kokkinos Ch, Provatas I, Markouizou Athina, Novkovic N, Nomikos IN. Adrenal Gland: An Anatomical Site of Surprises: On Occasion of a Primary Leiomyosarcoma. Ann Clin Exp Metabol 2017; 2(1): 1014
Kontis Elis, Perrakis N, Politidis V, Maniatis Chr, Ntatsis K, Nomikos Iakovos. Right -sided temporary loop colostomy, a simple and safe alternative to protective loop ileostomy after low rectal anastomosis. J Am Coll Surg 10/2015;221(4)DOI:10.1016
Iakovos Nomikos, Maria Kyriazi, Dimitra Vamvakopoulou, Andreas Sidiropoulos, Athanasios Apostolou, Aspasia Kyritsaka, Evangelos Athanassiou, Nikolaos C Vamvakopoulos: On the Management of Hyperglycaemia in Critically Ill Patients Undergoing Surgery. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research 08/2012; 4(4). DOI:10.4021/jocmr604w
Konstantinos Karapanos, Iakovos N Nomikos: Current Surgical Aspects of Palliative Treatment for Unresectable Pancreatic Cancer. Cancers 12/2011; 3(1). DOI:10.3390/cancers3010636
Nikolaos Perrakis, Evangelos Athanassiou, Dimitra Vamvakopoulou, Maria Kyriazi, Haris Kappos, Nikolaos C Vamvakopoulos, Iakovos Nomikos: Practical approaches to effective management of intestinal radiation injury: Benefit of resectional surgery. World Journal of Gastroenterology 09/2011; 17(35). DOI:10.3748/wjg.v17.i35.4013
- Diamantopoulos, C. Sofoudis, A. Baibai, M. Boutsikou, E. Petraka, K. Kalogerakos, I. Nomikos: Breast cancer and pregnancy. Review of the international literature. Surgical Chronicles 01/2011; 16(3).
Evangelos Athanassiou, Dimitra N Vamvakopoulou, Dimitrios Zacharoulis, George Paroutoglou, Despina Sioutopoulou, Konstantinos Tepetes, Iakovos Nomikos, Nicholas C Vamvakopoulos: Immunophenotypic Evaluation of DNA Mismatch Repair Markers in 2 Cases of Synchronous Histomorphologically Distinct Gastric Adenocarcinomas With Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors of the Proximal Small Bowel. Applied immunohistochemistry & molecular morphology: AIMM / official publication of the Society for Applied Immunohistochemistry 05/2010; 18(3). DOI:10.1097/PAI.0b013e3181ca8fbd
Maria A Kyriazi, Chrisostomos Sofoudis, Maria Katsouri, Theocharis Kappos, Christos Zafeiris, Eleni Trihia, Pantelis Diamantopoulos, Iakovos N Nomikos: Acute cholangitis due to pancreatic metastasis from squamous cell lung carcinoma: A case report and review of literature. Cases Journal 11/2009; 2(1). DOI:10.1186/1757-1626-2-9113
I N Nomikos, A Sidiropoulos, D N Vamvakopoulou, E Athanassiou, O D Mouzas, N Perrakis, N Tsilimingas, A Gianoukas, A Loufopoulos, H Kourtopoulos, N C Vamvakopoulos: Surgical Complications of Hyperglycaemia. Current diabetes reviews 06/2009; 5(2). DOI:10.2174/157339909788166855
I Nomikos, K Kalogerakos, E Athanasiou, E Plakokefales, D Sioutopoulou, M Satra, N C Vamvakopoulos: Role of Hyperglycemia in Isogeneic Islet Transplantation: An Experimental Animal Study. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes 11/2008; 116(9). DOI:10.1055/s-0028-1093324
I N Nomikos, A Zizi-Serbetzoglou, G Matsakis, J Elemenoglou, N C Vamvakopoulos: Association of an oversized adrenal cortical adenoma with expression of pheochromocytoma-like neurosecretory features. Journal of B.U.ON.: official journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology 07/2008; 13(3).
I Nomikos, K Kalogerakos, E Athanasiou, E Plakokefalos, E Plakokefales, D Sioutopoulou, M Satra, N C Vamvakopoulos: Role of Hyperglycemia in Isogeneic Islet Transplantation: An Experimental Animal Study. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes 06/2008; 116(9). DOI:10.1055/s-2008-1062711
- Ntatsis, E. Trivizaki, P. Bafaloukos, P. Bountouris, K. Rethimniotakis, S. Saranti, N. Perakis, I. Nomikos: Sentinel node biopsy for nonpalpable breast tumors after previous breast surgery – preliminary results. EJC Supplements 04/2008; 6(7). DOI:10.1016/S1359-6349(08)70691-8
Despina O Sioutopoulou, Elias Plakokefalos, Leonidas Arvanitis, Evangelos Athanassiou, John Venizelos, Konstantinos Kaplanis, Chariclia Destouni, Iakovos Nomikos, Maria Satra, Nicholas C Vamvakopoulos: On the mechanism of phenotypic conversion of human cervical adenocarcinoma HeLa cells surviving infection by influenza B virus: Potential implications for biological management of adenocarcinomas. Pathology – Research and Practice 02/2008; 204(5). DOI:10.1016/j.prp.2007.11.010
I N Nomikos, N Farmakis, A Zizi, N Perrakis, C Datsis, N C Vamvakopoulos: Reevaluating pancreatic duct ligation in Whipple procedure. Journal of B.U.ON.: official journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology 10/2007; 12(4).
- Perrakis, S. Andrikopoulos, G. Matsakis, M. Katsouri, K. Ntatsis, K. Kalogerakos, H. Tzerbinis, P. Koustenis, M. Dimitrief, I. Nomikos: Anastomosis and protective defunctioning right subhepatic colostomy as an alternative to Hartmann procedure. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 11/2006; 32. DOI:10.1016/S0748-7983(06)70851-4
- Tzerbinis, K. Ntatsis, M. Dimitrief, S. Fountas, N. Perrakis, G. Matsakis, M. Katsouri, K. Kalogerakos, M. Vassilakis, I. Nomikos: Acute surgical situations in cancer patients: gastrointestinal tract obstruction and perforation. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 11/2006; 32. DOI:10.1016/S0748-7983(06)70853-8
I.N. Nomikos, C. Malizos, N.C. Vamvakopoulos: Protective and damaging aspects of healing: A review. WOUNDS 18 (8): 177-185, 2006. Medscape Surgery (top stories) http://medscape.com/viewarticle/541978?src=mp
Iakovos N Nomikos, Nicholas C Vamvakopoulos: Correlating functional staging to effective treatment of acute surgical illness. The American Journal of Surgery 10/2001; 182(3). DOI:10.1016/S0002-9610(01)00701-2
J Elemenoglou, A Zizi-Serbetzoglou, J Papatheofanis, I N Nomikos: Primary osteogenic sarcoma of the breast. A case report. European journal of gynaecological oncology 02/1999; 20(1).
I N Nomikos, J D Papatheophanis, J Elemenoglou, A Papaioannou: Minimal injury mastectomy in the surgical treatment of stage I and II breast cancer patients. A 20-year experience. European journal of gynaecological oncology 02/1999; 20(4).
I N Nomikos: Necrotizing perineal infections (Fournier’s disease): Old remedies for an old disease. International Journal of Colorectal Disease 03/1998; 13(1). DOI:10.1007/s003840050131
I N Nomikos, J Elemenoglou, J Papatheophanis: Tamoxifen-induced endometrial polyp. A case report and review of the literature. European journal of gynaecological oncology 02/1998; 19(5).
Aspasia Vasiliadou, Gerasimos Karvountzis, Dimitrios Roumeliotis, Agisilaos Soumilas, Chrisanthy Plati, Iakovos Nomikos: Factors associated with back pain in nursing staff: A survey in Athens, Greece. International Journal of Nursing Practice 04/1997; 3(1). DOI:10.1111/j.1440-172X.1997.00015.pp.x
Iakovos N. Nomikos: Anorectal abscesses: Need for accurate anatomical localization of the disease. Clinical Anatomy 01/1997; 10(4). DOI:10.1002/(SICI)1098-2353(1997)10:4<239::AID-CA4>3.0.CO;2-N
A.N. Papaioannou, I.N. Nomikos: Deep tangential subtotal mastectomy for gynecomastia. . Breast Diseases 7: 207-211, 1994
J Elemenoglou, A Skopelitou, I Nomikos: Carcinoma of the inguinal region arising from endometriosis of the round ligament. Report of a case. European journal of gynaecological oncology 02/1993; 14(1).
I N Nomikos, A N Papaioannou: Experience with the intra-abdominal approach for complicated hernias of the inguinal region. International surgery 10/1992; 77(4).
R Omar, I Nomikos, G Piccorelli, J Savino, N Agarwal: Prevention of postischemic lipid peroxidation and liver cell injury by iron chelation. Gut 05/1989; 30(4). DOI:10.1136/gut.30.4.510
I N Nomikos, Y Wang, K J Lafferty: Involvement of O2 radical in “autoimmune” diabetes. Immunology and Cell Biology 03/1989; 67 ( Pt 1)(1). DOI:10.1038/icb.1989.12
Yi Wang, Marcia McDuffie, Iakovos N. Nomikos, Liming Hao, Kevin J. Lafferty: Effect of cyclosporin on immunologically mediated diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice. Transplantation 09/1988; 46(2 Suppl). DOI:10.1097/00007890-198808001-00019
John Savino, Nanakram Agarwal, David Gordon, Richard Moggio, Renato Ruggiero, Iakovos Nomikos: NUTRITION/METABOLISM FRIDAY, MAY 29TH, 1987 SOUTH BALLROOM 2: 30–4. Critical Care Medicine 04/1987; 15(4). DOI:10.1097/00003246-198704000-00212
I N Nomikos, S J Prowse, P Carotenuto, K J Lafferty: Combined Treatment With Nicotinamide and Desferrioxamine Prevents Islet Allograft Destruction in NOD Mice. Diabetes 12/1986; 35(11). DOI:10.2337/diabetes.35.11.1302
I N Nomikos, K Katsouyanni, A N Papaioannou: Washing with or without chloramphenicol in the treatment of peritonitis: A prospective, clinical trial. Surgery 02/1986; 99(1).
I N Nomikos: Is sepsis the only possible harmful consequence of splenectomy?. New England Journal of Medicine 08/1984; 311(3). DOI:10.1056/NEJM198407193110323
- Data from my curriculum have been published in “Who’s Who in the World” and “Who’s Who in Medicine and Healt Care” (Marquis Who’s Who)
- I have been honored in a special ceremony:
- a) By the Holy Metropolis of Syros and other Cycladian Islands for my voluntary contribution in the care of patients and suffering people.
- b) By the Piraeus Runners Club for my medical services provided to our community and my stable performance in athletics as long distance runner (marathon finisher 48 times)
Member of Examining Committee for the specialty of General Surgery
(Appointed by Greek Ministry of Health since April 2016 to December 2018)
– Editorial Board of: Journal of International Surgery and Surgical Procedures
–Editor -in- Chief of : Hellenic Journal of Surgery (2017)
I have invented, applied and published two new surgical techniques : one for the surgical treatment of gynecomastia in men and the other for the surgical treatment of strangulated inguinal hernias (please, refer to the publication list).
7-9 Athanasiadou Street, Athens 115 21
Tel: 210 6416611
Cellular phone: 6944 450 750