- Director, Pulmonary Dpt. EUROCLINIC-ATHENS-GREECE
- Lecturer, Medical School, National University of Athens, Greece (1982)
Director, Department of 3rd Chest Medicine, Sismanoglion General Hospital, Athens, Greece(1997-2012)-Director Chest Dpt A.Fleming Gen.Hospital-Athens:1989-1997-
Senior Staff Member: Sotiria CHEST HOSPITAL, ATHENS: 1981-1989
- Degree of Medicine, obtained at the Medical School, National University of Athens, Greece October 1975
- Internal Medicine (1978)
- Pneumonology (1980)
- Occupational Medicine (1988)
Serum levels of lead and lung function in police department traffic officers (1980-1982)
- 6months: Critical Care Department and Lung Function Laboratories, London Chest Hospital (1983-84, London U.K., supervisor Dr. R.M. Rudd)
- 1 week: Laser in Bronchoscopy (1988, Marseille France, supervisor Prof. Dumon and Prof. Shapshay)
- 1 week: Bronchoalveolar Lavage (1986, Prague Czechoslovakia, supervisor Prof. Voisin)
- 3 months: Bronchoscopy Chest Clinic- MayoClinic July – October 1996 – Supervisor : Prof. Prakash
- 3 months: Interstitial Lung Disease Unit: Brompton Royal Hospital-LONDON-January 1999-April1999
- 3 months:Pulmonary Vasculitis: Mayo Clinic-Prof. U.Specks:May 1st—July 31st 2007
7 3 months: .Sarcoidosis: Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)-Charleston, SC, Prof M. Judson.August 1st-October 31st.
1: West “Respiratory Physiology”, 1987
Pathophysiology of the Lung, edited by V. Polychronopoulos, translated version of J.B. West “Pulmonary Pathophysiology”, 1986
- Atlas of Bronchoscopy, edited by G. Thalassinos and V. Polychronopoulos, translated version of P. Straddling “Atlas of Bronchoscopy”,Paschalidis Editions: 1996
- Chest and Cardiac Imaging, edited by V. Polychronopoulos, translated version of R. Eisenberg “Chest and Cardiac Imaging “,Paschalidis Editions 1996
- Pathophysiology in diffuse interstitial lung diseases (chapter). V. Polychronopoulos. In: Interstitial Lung Diseases, edited by Hellenic Thoracic Society, 1994
- Metastatic lung neoplasms (chapter). V. Polycrhonopoulos. In: Bronchogenic Cancer, edited by Hellenic Thoracic Society, 1993
6:Polychronopoulos V., Kosmas E. Pleural effusion secondary to Gastrointestinal Disease. In: Deckers Pleural Disease; Bouros D: 2004-and 2nd Edition 2008
: 3rd Edition ,2010
7:.Clinical Pneumonology : 3 Volumes-Pages :3070 -2nd Edition:Textbook:Edited by :D. Polyzogopoulos and V. Polychronopoulos-Paschalidis Editions-2005
3rd Edition: 2022 2400 Pages
8.Pulmonary Circulation.D.Polyzogopoulos-V. Polychronopoulos. In : Pulmonary Physiology-Edited by Hellenic Thoracic Society- 2006
- Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis :Diagnosis and differential diagnosis- V.Polychronopoulos-In: Occupational and Environmental Lung Diseases-Edited by Hellenic Thoracic Society-2007
- Acute interstitial and alveolar infiltrates : V. Polychronopoulos-In: Emergency Chest Medicine: Edited by Hellenic Thoracic Society-2008
11¨.Common questions in Chest Medicine;Hellenic Thoracic Society 2010: Essentials in Pulmonary Embolism.
- Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage syndromes: chapter 15;E.Stagaki and V.Polychronopoulos;In:S.K.Jindal’s:Textbook of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine;JAYPEE Brothers;2010
- Airway involvement iILDs:S.Tryphon,V.Polychronopoulos,in:
Interstitial Lung Disease;O.Sharma;ED.JAYPEE Brothers,2011
- Acute Exacerbation of Sarcoidodis;In: :.Acute Exacerbation of Respiratory Disease: S.SAHN;ED. :JAYPEE Brothers,2011
INVITED LECTURER IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS: 115
(Topics concerning bronchoscopy, pathophysiology, interstitial lung disease, and pleural disease)
THE MOST IMPORTANT INTERNATIONAL:
- Invited Speaker ATS 2006 :THORACIC PAIN
2.Invtited speaker at CHEST 2005,2006: Organizing Pneumonia
3.Invited Speaker APSR-2005 Guangzhou-China: Clinical aspects of Interstitial Lung Diseaseas
4.Invited Speaker : CHEST-Pro- Buono Course– Romania-2005 ; Technical Solutions to common problems during bonchoscopy—Eosinophilic Lung Disease-
–5. Invited Speaker : WORLD Association of Bronchology -Meeting-2006- Buenos Aires- Argentina
- Scientific Organizer and speaker in three Meetings of CHEST and Hellenic Thoracic Society- JUNE-2002-2004-2006- : Three-days Hands on- Teaching Seminar on Bronchoscopy
7.Invited speaker in Brown University, Sept 2007: Technical solutions during Bronchoscopy
8.Invited speaker in MUSC;Charleston, SC: Organizing Pneumonia
9.Invited speaker in Postgratuated Course of Hellenic Thoracic Society-Athens-Dec 2007:Nomenclature of the Bronchoscopy findings
- Invited Speaker at Pro-Bono Course;Argentina, Buenos Aires, June 2008 and Targue Mures and Buchurest (Romania), 2005 and 2006.
11.Invited Speaker: International WASOG Meeting Charleston,SC, 2009: Bronchoscopic findings in Wegener.
12.Scientific Organizer and Speaker of International Pulmonary Board Review:ACCP-Hellenic Thoracic Society : June 2009 Kavouri-Athens( Topics : ILDs, Alveolar Hemorrhagic Syndromes)
13.Invited Speaker at APSR 2009,Seoul, South Korea –Topics: Acutre Respiratory Failure due to ILD; Differential Diagnosis of ILDs; Clinical Evaluation of Thoracic Pain; Technical Solutions to Common Problems during Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy—13-19 November 2009.
14 Invited Speaker at Gulf Thoracic Society-ACCP Meeting: Abu-Dhabi ,March 17-20: Static and Dynamic Lung Volumes-DLCO
- Ivited Speaker at Internatronal Meeting for Lung Cancer: Bronchoscopy findings in lung cancer; June 2010, Samos,Greece.
- Invited Speaker at Bulgarian Respiratory Society National Meeting: Plovdiv,
June 2010:Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage.
- Invited Speaker at International Meeting of World Association of Bronchology; June 2010:
Tracheobronchial Manifestations in Sarcoidosis and Wegener Granulomatosis.
18: Chairman-Speaker at 4th Hands-on Meeting of ACCP-Hellenic Thoracic Society; Athens, June 2010: (a): Nomenclature of Endobronchial Findings.
(b) Casualties during fiberoptic Bronchoscopy.
19: Invited speaker at CHEST 2010 MEETING: Vancouver ,Oct 29-Nov4 :Global challenges
In the Management of Asthma; Sunday,,Oct31th.-Ivited Expert at :Drug induced Lung Disease
Invited Moderator for Lung Cancer Posters.
20: Invited speaker at Egyptian Bronchology Society Meeting; Cairo , 2010, December 2-4
21: Organiser and Speaker at: 2nd HTS/ACCP Pulmonary Board Review Meeting in Athens, June 2012: Difuse Lung Disease: Diagnostic Strategy.
- ERS School ,6-8 July 2012: Speaker : Pulmonary Vasculitis
- 3rd International Lung Cancer Seminar;6-8 September 2012: Speaker:Lung Cancer Screening: To Whom?
24.Invited Speaker: 2nd ECBIP Meeting: Izmir, April 2013: Bronchoscopic or Surgical Diagnosis in Interstitial Lung Disease?
25.Invited Speaker : 35th Annual Meeting of Turkish Thoracic Society: Izmir, October 4-7, 2013;Topics: Organizing Pneumonia and Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage.
26: Invited Speaker: 22th HTS Annual Meeting-ERS School: Lung Mechanics in Interstitial Lung Diseases: 5 Dec 2013, Athens –Greece
27: Invited Speaker : 1st WORLD CHEST ,Madrid, March 21-24 2014: Thoracic Pain.
28:Invited Speaker:HTS-ERS Hermes School: Athens, August 2014: Pulmonary Vasculitis
29.Invited Speaker : 1st Pulmonary Board Review: ACCP/Izmir: Oct 2014: Pulmonary Embolism.
- Invited Speaker: CONFERENCE ON LUNG CANCER:Best of 16TH WCLC: Risk factors for Lung Cancer;HILTON, ATHENS-January 14-15, 2016
31: Invited Speaker: University of Athens: Oncology Dpt: Prof.Syrigos: Lung Cancer and ILD-
32: Invited Speaker: National Congress in Pulmonology: Athens, 2017: Interstitial Lung Disease
33: : Invited Speaker: National Congress in Pulmonology: Thessaloniki , 2018: (a)Technical Solutions to common problems during Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy-(b)-Chairman: Pulmonary Embolism
34: : Invited Speaker: University of Athens:Prof . Zakynthinos S. : Differential diagnosis of ILDs.Evaggelismos Hosp, 5/2019
35: Invited Speaker: Hellenic Thoracic Society: 4/2018: Pathogenesis of Tuberculosis-
36: Scientific Collaborator of Dpt of Pathological Physiology of Athens University:
Lectures to Students at 3 rd and 6th year of Medical School- 2012-2019
37: Coordinator and Faculty Member: 3rd ACCP/HTS Meeting ,Athens 2019—June, Megaron Moussikis-
38:Invited Speaker : University of Athens:Prof . Zakynthinos S. :Thoracic Pain-Evangelismos Hospital, Sept 2020
PUBLICATIONS IN NATIONAL
MEDICAL JOURNALS : 33
PUBLISHED ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS : 50
THE MOST IMPORTANT:
- How can autoantibodies predict the long-term outcome of patients with interstitial lung disease? Results from a retrospective cohort study.
Kampolis CF, Venetsanopoulou AI, Karakontaki F, Polychronopoulos V, Vlachoyiannopoulos P, Tzioufas AG.
Autoimmun Rev. 2018 Sep 10. pii: S1568-9972(18)30214-3. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2018.06.004. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Respiratory and lower limb muscle function in interstitial lung disease.
Panagiotou M1, Polychronopoulos V2, Strange C3
-Chron Respir Dis. 2016 Jan 14–
3.. A prospective study on bacterial and atypical etiology of acute exacerbation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Nakou A1, Papaparaskevas J, Diamantea F, Skarmoutsou N, Polychronopoulos V, Tsakris A.
Future Microbiology;2014,November ,,1251
- Cryptogenic and secondary organizing pneumonia: clinical presentation, radiographic findings, treatment response, and prognosis.—62 Citations—(Aug.2017)
Drakopanagiotakis F, Paschalaki K, Abu-Hijleh M, Aswad B, Karagianidis N, Kastanakis E, Braman SS, Polychronopoulos V.
Chest. 2011 Apr;139(4):893-900. doi: 10.1378/chest.10-0883. Epub 2010 Aug 19.
5.Acute exacerbations of interstitial lung diseases.
Papanikolaou IC, Drakopanagiotakis F, Polychronopoulos VS.
Citations: 15-Aug 2017
Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2010 Sep;16(5):480-6. doi: 10.1097/MCP.0b013e32833ae49d. Review.
23.Airway involvement in sarcoidosis. 59 Citations Aug 2017–
Polychronopoulos VS, Prakash UB.
Chest. 2009 Nov;136(5):1371-80. doi: 10.1378/chest.08-2569. Review.
- 32.Organizing pneumonia.—-42 Citations—Aug.2017–
Drakopanagiotakis F, Polychronopoulos V, Judson MA.
Am J Med Sci. 2008 Jan;335(1):34-9. doi: 10.1097/MAJ.0b013e31815d829d. Review.
- 33.Airway involvement in Wegener’s granulomatosis.—
Polychronopoulos VS, Prakash UB, Golbin JM, Edell ES, Specks U.
Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2007 Nov;33(4):755-75, vi. Review.
- .Terminal diffuse alveolar damage in relation to interstitial pneumonias. An autopsy study. 93 Citations –Aug 2017–
Rice AJ, Wells AU, Bouros D, du Bois RM, Hansell DM, Polychronopoulos V, Vassilakis D, Kerr JR, Evans TW, Nicholson AG.
Am J Clin Pathol. 2003 May;119(5):709-14.
- Histopathologic subsets of fibrosing alveolitis in patients with systemic sclerosis and their relationship to outcome.—452 Citations—Aug.2017–
Bouros D, Wells AU, Nicholson AG, Colby TV, Polychronopoulos V, Pantelidis P, Haslam PL, Vassilakis DA, Black CM, du Bois RM.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002 Jun 15;165(12):1581-6.
- Acute interstitial pneumonia.—108 Citations—Aug.2017–
Bouros D, Nicholson AC, Polychronopoulos V, du Bois RM.
Eur Respir J. 2000 Feb;15(2):412-8. Review.
25/1/2022: Cited documents Total 2168
- PULMONARY Departement
7-9 Athanasiadou Street, Athens 115 21
Tel: +30 210 6416600
Appointments: +30 210 6416600
Fax: +30 210 6416555