- Bariatric (Weight Loss), Advanced Laparoscopic & General Surgery
- Associate Professor of Surgery University Of Connecticut, USA 2009 -present
- Assistant Professor of Surgery University of Connecticut, USA 2007-2009
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, USA 2003-2007
Professional Administrative Experience
- Director, Weight Management Program, Holyoke Medical Center, Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA 2015 – present
- Chief, Bariatric Surgery, Metropolitan Hospital, Athens, Greece 2014 – present
- Chief, Bariatric Surgery, Euroclinic of Athens, Greece 2017 – present
- Director, Bariatric Center, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, Connecticut, USA 2007 – 2013
- Faculty of the Division of Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA 2003 – 2007
- Director of Gynecology Department “Euroclinic Athens” (2016-today)
- Private practice (2011-today)
- Former Lecturer with specialty in gynecologic oncology, 3rd Obstetrics and gynecology Department of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens ‘’Attikon’’ Hospital (2013-2016)
- Fellow at Gynecology Department of university hospital in Mainz, Germany “Johannes Gutenberg” (2011-Today)
- Post-Doctoral researcher, Medical School, University of Athens, in “HPV and female sexuality”, since 10/2016
- PhD, Doctoral, Medical School, University of Athens, in “Artificial Neural Networks and Endometrial Cytology”, 2010-2016
- MSc, Master of Science, Medical School, University of Athens, in “High Risk Pregnancy”, 2009-2012
- Subspecialty in Gynecologic Oncology, Ob/Gyn Department of university hospital in Mainz, Germany “Johannes Gutenberg” accredited by EBCOG and ESGO (European Society of Gynecological Oncology) (2011-2014)
- Resident in 3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. University of Athens, Medical School, University general hospital ” Attikon”(2007-2011)
Doctor of Medicine, Aristotle Medical School of Thessaloniki 1987-1993
- General Surgery Residency, University of Illinois, USA 1996-2002
- Fellowship in Advanced Minimally Invasive and Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery, Allegheny Health System and University of Pittsburgh 2002-2003, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Certified as a DaVinci Robot Surgeon, Hartford, CT (11/6/2013 – present)
Professional Clinical Experience:
- Medical Malpractice claims (Active or previous): None both in Greece and USA
- Personal experience with over 4000 Bariatric and laparoscopic procedures (86.5% Lap gastric bypass, 5% Lap sleeve gastrectomy, 2.9% Gastric band and 5.6% lap revisions (band to bypass, VBG to bypass, gastrojejunostomy revision, sleeve to bypass) in the USA and Greece
- Experience in laparoscopic foregut surgery, solid organs and colorectal surgery
- Excellent perioperative and weight loss outcomes above the national average
Table 1: Comparison of safety outcomes: MBSQIP National USA Database vs. Dr. Raftopoulos
|MBSQIP data||Lap Roux-en-Y gastric bypass||Lap Sleeve gastrectomy|
|MBSQIP||Dr. Raftopoulos||MBSQIP||Dr. Raftopoulos|
|Length of stay||2||1.2||1.6||1.1|
|% 30-D Readmits > 3 nights||52%||0%||54.9%||0%|
Table 2: Comparison of 6-month weight loss for lap gastric bypass : MBSQIP USA National Database vs. Dr. Raftopoulos
|Lap Roux-en-Y||MBSQIP||Dr. Raftopoulos|
|Mean BMI at Baseline||45.87||45.34|
|Mean BMI at 6 months||36.1||30.55|
|Mean BMI difference||9.77||16.13|
|Mean % Weight Loss towards BMI of 25||46.8%||74.4%|
Table 3: Comparison of 6-month weight loss for lap gastric sleeve: MBSQIP USA National Database vs. Dr. Raftopoulos
|Lap Sleeve Gastrectomy||MBSQIP||Dr. Raftopoulos|
|Mean BMI at Baseline||44.90||44.34|
|Mean BMI at 6 months||36.55||31.84|
|Mean BMI difference||8.35||12.51|
|Mean % Weight Loss towards BMI of 25||42%||64.7%|
Table 4: Comparison of 6-month weight loss for lap bariatric revisions: MBSQIP USA National Database vs. Dr. Raftopoulos
|Mean BMI at Baseline||37.09||43.84|
|Mean BMI at 6 months||34.77||31.35|
|Mean BMI difference||2.32||12.49|
|Mean % Weight Loss towards BMI of 25||19.2%||66.3%|
- Elipse gastric balloon for weight loss (The only non-invasive weight loss option that exists worldwide. I offer it exclusively in Greece)
- Bariatric (Weight Loss) surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic surgery
- General surgery
- Co-Investigator, US National Trial regulated by the Federal Drug Administration (F.D.A.): The Enlighten Study regarding the Elipse swallowable gastric balloon for weight loss requiring no sedation or anesthesia 2017 – present
- Co-Investigator, European Trial for the Elipse swallowable gastric balloon for weight loss, 2014-2016. Based on the trial’s results the Elipse balloon received the CE mark for commercial use in European Union
- Raftopoulos Y, Davidson E. “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass without opioids. Is it possible? Effect of restricted opioid usage on an established 1-day fast-track protocol for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.” Accepted as oral presentation to the American College of Surgeons’ 2017 Clinical Congress (October 22-26), in San Diego, CA.
- Raftopoulos I, Giannakou A, Kandiliotis I, Bojkova M, Kupka T, Buzga M, Stecco K, Levy S, Gaur S, Chuttani R, Machytka E. The First Procedureless Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss: Final Results from a Multi-Center, Prospective Study Evaluating Safety, Efficacy, Participant Preference, and Long Term Follow-Up. Obesity Week, October 31-November 4, 2016, New Orleans, LA
- Raftopoulos I, Giannakou A, Kandiliotis I, Bojkova M, Kupka T, Buzga M, Stecco K, Levy S, Gaur S, Chuttani R, Machytka E. The First Procedureless Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss: Final Results from a Multi-Center, Prospective Study Evaluating Safety, Efficacy, Participant Preference, and Long Term Follow-Up. 21st World Congress of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity & Metabolic Disorders, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, September 27-October 1, 2016.
- Giannakou A, Raftopoulos I, Chuttani R, Kandiliotis I, Stecco K, Kalogeris M, Levy S, Gaur S. Elipse™, a swallowable and procedureless gastric balloon for weight loss. Safety and efficacy outcomes. Scientific Forum, American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, Washington DC, October 16-20, 2016.
- Machytka, E., Gaur, S., Chuttani, R., Bojkova, M., Kupka, T., Buzga, M., Giannakou, A., Ioannis, K., Stecco, K., Levy, S., Raftopoulos, I. The First Procedureless Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss: Final Results from a Multi-Center, Prospective Study Evaluating Safety, Efficacy, Metabolic Parameters, Quality of Life, and 6-month Follow-Up. 13th International Congress of Obesity, Vancouver, Canada, May 1-4, 2016.
- Chuttani, R., Machytka, E., Raftopoulos, I, Gaur, S. The First Procedureless Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss: Final Results from a Multi-Center, Prospective Study Evaluating Safety, Efficacy, Metabolic Parameters, Quality of Life, and 6-month Follow-Up. Lecture presentation, Digestive Disease Week (DDW), San Diego (CA), May 21-24, 2016.
- Machytka E, Raftopoulos I, Brooks J, Levy S, Chuttani R, Gaur S. The emesis nemesis: A new combination anti-emetic therapy for gastric balloons. United European Gastroenterology Week, Barcelona, Spain, October 24-28, 2015.
- Raftopoulos I. Outcomes of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as a primary versus revisional bariatric surgery. 40ο Panhellenic Medical Congress, Αthens 14-17 Μay 2014.
- Raftopoulos I. Indications for bariatric surgery Internal Medicine Congress, University Endocrinology Clinic “Sotiria” Hospital, Αthens April 4 2014.
- Raftopoulos I. Protein intake compliance of morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and its effect on weight loss, leptin and albumin. 10ο Panhellenic Congress of the Greek Obesity Society, Αthens February 20-22 2014.
- Brian Pellini, Chhatrala, Ravi, Cushman Alexis, Judy Carty, Ioannis Raftopoulos. Feasibility and safety of a 1-day length of stay after primary and revisional laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in 538 consecutive patients. 29th Annual meeting of the Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, San Diego CA, June 17-22, 2012.
- Certified in Surgery by the American Board of Surgery 2003 – present (Re-certified by exam in 2013, next due in 2023)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons 2003 – present
- Fellow, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery 2005 – present
- Consultant, Olympus USA 2017 – present
- Gerson Lehrman Group, New York, NY, USA 2007 – present
- Verified Bariatric Surgeon, by the American College of Surgeons and American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery which reflects Expert’s experience in bariatric surgery 2017 – present
- Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery by the Surgical Review Corporation 2005 – 2013
- 2003 Resident Research award in recognition for outstanding research submission, Allegheny General Hospital
- Award for excellence (>90%) in the IN-Service United States General Surgery exam 1999 and 2002
- Nominated from my residency program for the SAGES Junior Research Award
- Honor of excellence at high school graduation year awarded by the Mayor of Athens
- Poster of distinction among 600 papers at the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons/World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Balaji Jangam, MD, Kristine O’Hara, MD, Bruce Bernstein, PhD, Ravi Chhatrala, MD, Ioannis Raftopoulos, MD, PhD, FACS. Outcomes of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as a primary versus revisional bariatric surgery.
- Selected for oral presentation at the SSAT along with 37 other papers among 300 papers originally submitted: Raftopoulos IS, Ercole JA, Udekwu AO, Luketich J, Courcoulas AP. Short and long-term outcome of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass stratified by BMI of 70 Kg/m2. A comparative analysis of 825 procedures. The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, New Orleans, LA, May 15-20, 2004.
- Best poster award: Santos RS, Raftopoulos Y, Singh D, Maley R, Keenan RJ, Landreneau RJ. Interventional bronchoscopy for management of benign tracheal stenosis. American College of Chest Physicians Orlando, FL, October 25-30, 2003.
- Nominee paper for Resident/Trainee Award: Raftopoulos Y, Papasavas P, Hayetian F, Maurer J, Bononi P, Caushaj P, Gagne D. Improvement of hypothyroidism after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Presentation, American Society for Bariatric Surgery 20th Annual Meeting, Boston June 2003.
- Raftopoulos l, Giannakou A. The Elipse ballon, a swallowable gastric balloon for weight loss not requiring sedation, anesthesia or endoscopy: a pilot study with 12 month outcomes. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017;13(7):1174-1182.
- Machytka E, Gaur S, Chuttani R, Bojkova M, Kupka T, Buzga M, Giannakou A, Kandiliotis I, Mathus-Vliegeni L, Levy S, Raftopoulos l. A Prospective, Observational, Open-Label Multi-Center Study Evaluating Safety, Efficacy, and Quality of Life. Endosc 2017;49:154-160.
- Raftopoulos I. Author response to Dr. Pike’s letter to the editor titled “Fast track management after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. J Am Coll Surg;2016;223(1):203-204.
- Raftopoulos I, Giannakou A, Davidson E. Prospective 30-Day Outcome Evaluation of a Fast-Track Protocol for 23-Hour Ambulatory Primary and Revisional Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in 820 Consecutive Unselected Patients. J Am Coll Surg;2016;222(6):1189-1200.
- Raftopoulos I, Bernstein B, O’Hara KM, Ruby JA, Chhatrala R, Carty J. Protein intake compliance of morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and its effect on weight loss, leptin and albumin. Surgery for Obesity & Related Diseases 2011 Nov-Dec;7(6):733-42.
- Raftopoulos I, Reed JF 3rd, Bergamaschi R. Circumferential resection margin involvement after laparoscopic abdominoperineal excision for rectal cancer. Colorectal Dis. 2012 Apr;14(4):431-7.
- A Gorin, I Raftopoulos. Patients with combined mood and eating disorders who had laparoscopic gastric bypass are more challenging postoperatively but can achieve comparable weight loss. Obes Surg 2009;19(12):1685-90.
- Raftopoulos I, Bergamaschi R. Selection Criteria, Preoperative work-up and Postoperative Pathway for the Bariatric Surgery Patient in a U.S. center. Minimally Invasive Chirurgie (Accepted 6/25/2008)
- Uchal M, Haughn C, Raftopoulos Y, Hussain F, Reed JF, Tjugum J, Bergamaschi R. Robotic camera holder as good as expert camera holder: a randomized crossover trial. Surg Laparosc Endosc & Percut Tech 2009;19(3):272-5.
- Raftopoulos I, Martindale C, Cronin A, Steinberg J. The effect of extended post-discharge thromboprophylaxis on venous thromboembolism rates after bariatric surgery. A prospective comparison trial. Surg Endosc 2008 Nov;22(11):2384-91.
23 Tsoha street, 2nd Floor,
Email: email@example.com & Raftopoulos_Ioannis@holyokehealth.com.