The Athens Euroclinic Pain Medicine Clinic offers comprehensive and specialized healthcare services to people suffering from chronic pain, adopting all the standards implemented by leading centers abroad that specialize in pain and spinal conditions.
The Clinic focuses on diagnosing the causes of chronic pain, so as to eventually select the most targeted, medically documented and minimally invasive pain treatment. The following statement sums up the mentality of the medical team: Is this the treatment I would choose for my father or mother?
Acute pain is an alarm system designed to protect the body. It triggers a nervous system sensation when the body suffers injury, damage or disease, and serves as a warning for exploring the cause of the pain and removing the harmful factor.
However, when this alarm system keeps going off for a long time, longer than the period required for the wound to heal and/or the disease to be treated, then it is no longer useful to the human body and becomes a debilitating chronic condition. So chronic pain becomes a disease that requires either causal treatment, i.e. exploring the cause of the pain and implementing a targeted approach, or symptomatic treatment, when the tests cannot provide a clear cause.
The Pain Medicine Clinic aims at improving the quality of life of sufferers by relieving their chronic pain using modern, minimally invasive and specially designed techniques. The Clinic may handle the following chronic pain conditions:
- Spinal conditions
- Neck pain/neck & shoulder pain (discopathy, lumbar disc herniation, spondylitis, etc)
- Low back pain (discopathy, spondylitis, etc)
- Radiculitis/radiculopathy (lumbar disc herniation, spinal stenosis, etc)
- Vertebral fracture (osteoporotic, metastatic)
- Arthralgia (osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, shoulder, etc)
- Neuropathic pain (trigeminal neuralgia, nerve injury, causalgia, postherpetic neuralgia, diabetic neuropathy, etc)
- Ischemic pain (vascular conditions)
- Cancer pain
Interventional techniques are an intermediate treatment stage between conservative treatment (medications, physiotherapy, kinesiotherapy) and surgical treatment of conditions that cause acute or chronic pain. Local anesthesia, mild intravenous sedation and fluoroscopic and/or ultrasound guidance are performed safely and accurately, without the need for surgical incisions. The patients are hospitalized for just a few hours.
Type of Interventional Techniques
The interventional techniques performed include:
- Targeted drug infusion (local anesthetics, corticosteroids, alcohol, medical cement) on peripheral nerves, spinal nerve roots, vertebras and sympathetic ganglia for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes
- Needle and electrode radiofrequency (RF) application (thermal ablation of targets that cause pain or transfer pain signals)
- Pulsed radiofrequency (PRF) application (temperature up to 42° C so as to interrupt or modify the transfer of pain signals to the spinal cord)
- Neuromodulation treatments, including implantable chemical or electrical pain signal modulation systems (subarachnoid infusion of active medications, spinal cord stimulation and peripheral neurostimulation)
Medical Infrastructure & Technology
The Athens Euroclinic is equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic and medical devices that ensure fast, safe and reliable diagnostic tests, both for exploring the cause of pain syndromes and for selecting the most effective treatment method using the latest interventional techniques. The Hospital is also equipped with a digital MRI scanner and a latest technology CT scanner, which ensure optimal imaging results. The digital angiography device guarantees excellent imaging guidance when implementing interventional pain techniques, boosting the safety and targeted action of these methods.